Union Train Station and Freight Shed, National Register Nomination
The Wakefield Heritage Commission received a Certified Local Government grant to fund the National Register Nomination for the Union Train Station and Freight Sheds in the Wakefield village of Union. The Great Falls & Conway Railroad was incorporated in 1844, and a route was planned from Great Falls (now Somersworth) to Conway. In 1854 the line reached Union Village at the southern tip of Wakefield. For 17 years, Union was the northernmost station on the railroad line and the only railroad station in all of Carroll County, and Union quickly grew to become the economic center of Wakefield (the center shifted north to Sanbornville after the construction of a railroad station there in 1871). In 1912, the present Union Railroad Station was constructed to replace the 1854 Station.
By the 1930s, auto-tourism and freight trucking began to take-off and rail transportation lost popularity. The last train on the Wolfeborough Branch from Sanbornville to Wolfeboro ran in 1936. Despite a brief revival during World War II, after the war automotive transportation quickly overtook the trains. In 1943, the Sanbornville Passenger Station was reduced in size, and in 1956, the Union Station was "retired." Between 1956 and 2006, when the building was acquired by the Wakefield Heritage Commission, the train station was used as a private dwelling. It has now been restored, and along with a former freight shed, forms the Heritage Park Railroad Museum.
Client: Wakefield Heritage Commission
Listed to the National Register of Historic Places: January 11, 2022