Register Nomination for the Union Train Station and Freight Shed
I am currently working on a Certified Local Government
grant-funded National Register Nomination for the Union Train
Station and Freight Sheds in the Wakefield village of Union. The
Great Falls & Conway Railroad was incorporated in 1844, and a
route was planned from Great Falls (now Somersworth) to Conway. In
1854 the line reached Union Village at the southern tip of
Wakefield. For 17 years, Union was the northernmost station on the
railroad line and the only railroad station in all of Carroll
County, and Union quickly grew to become the economic center of
Wakefield (the center shifted north to Sanbornville after the
construction of a railroad station there in 1871). In 1912, the
present Union Railroad Station was constructed to replace the 1854
Wakefield Heritage Commission, to be completed Summer/Fall 2021.
Town Hall Condition Assessment Report
I am working in conjunction with Stephen Bedard of Bedard Preservation & Restoration to conduct a Condition Assessment of the Windham Town Hall through the Assessment Grant program of the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance . The current Town Hall was originally constructed as the second Windham Meetinghouse in 1798 to serve both town municipal as well as spiritual functions. By this date, several members of the community had complained that the first meetinghouse (located to the southeast on the opposite side of Cobbetts Pond) was not conveniently located. The geographic center of the town was determined, and a new building was constructed under the watchful eye of master workman, Squire Gregg. As with other meetinghouses, the building took several years to complete, and it was not until 1805 that the gallery was fitted up for the choir. At this time, the building was five bays in length with a central entrance on what is now the south side and twin porches on either gable end to provide access to the second-floor gallery. The interior likely contained box pews, and the pulpit was located at the middle of the north side, beneath an arched window.
A new Presbyterian Church was built next door in 1833, and the building was left as a purely municipal building. Architect Joseph B. Sawyer of Manchester was hired to renovate the building in 1868, and present building is largely the result of this 19th century renovation. In the 1990s, an addition was constructed at the back (west) elevation, and the first floor was divided into offices. Steve and I are currently working to decipher the story of this building and create a plan for its future.
Windham Heritage Commission/Town of Windham, ongoing study.
Commercial District Area Study
I am currently in the process of completing an area study of downtown Laconia for the City Planning Department at the urging of the Laconia Heritage Commission. Downtown Laconia has been in a near constant state of flux from the earliest settlement of the village of Meredith Bridge (at the intersection of the Province Road and Winnipesaukee River) in the 1760s until the present with several waves of 19th century fires and rebuilding campaigns culminating in the adoption of Winnipesaukee River Urban Renewal Project (NH R-12) in the 1960s. The study aims to document the surviving historic resources in the downtown core, the mid-century modern buildings of Urban Renewal, and explore the potential for a National Register Historic District.
Laconia Planning Department, ongoing study.
Congregational Church & Horse Sheds Condition Assessment
I have been working in conjunction with Brian Gallien of Ironwood Restoration to conduct a Condition Assessment of the United Congregational Church and Horse Sheds in Sullivan through the Assessment Grant program of the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance . Constructed in 1848 as the first purpose-built church in Sullivan (replacing two earlier meetinghouses), the church and associated horse sheds were listed to the NH State Register of Historic Places in 2018. The study was initiated after members of the church became concerned about the structure of their tower, so Brian and I have been working to develop a plan to fix the tower, develop a maintenance schedule for the building, and compile a detailed history of the structure.
United Congregational Church of Sullivan, ongoing study.
No. 98 Conditions Assessment Report
I have been working in conjunction with Brian Gallien of Ironwood Restoration to conduct a
Condition Assessment of the Antrim Grange No. 98 through the
Assessment Grant program of the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance . The
story of the Grange building began in 1785, when Antrim
constructed their first Meetinghouse on top of Meetinghouse Hill
(in Old Antrim Center), next to the Meetinghouse Cemetery. Over
time the population centers of Antrim shifted away from the
hilltop, especially after the construction of Clinton Rd/NH Route
31 in 1820 diverted traffic away from the steep hill. The village
moved south to the base of the hill, and, eventually, a new church
was constructed in the new village center in 1826. The old
twin-porch meetinghouse was deconstructed in 1832 after sitting
vacant for several years, and parts of the second floor and roof
frame were moved down the hill and incorporated into the new Town
Hall (now Grange). In 1876-1877, the Town added a bay to the north
of the building to house a stage at the end of the hall. By the
1890s, the population of "South Village" had grown significantly
in response to the success of mills along the Contoocook River,
and a new Town hall was constructed there in 1893 leaving the
building empty once more. Since 1894, the building has been home
to the Antrim Grange No. 98.
Antrim Grange No. 98, completed January 2021.
House Condition Assessment Report Addendum
An update to the 2017 condition assessment of the Wentworth-Brown House was funded by the Community Development Finance Authority and conducted in cooperation with Stephen Bedard of Bedard Preservation & Restoration in order to develop a more detailed rehabilitation plan for the expansive connected building for Haverhill Heritage, Inc.. Through the process of investigation, we discovered that the building started in 1805 as a 3 by 3 bay hip-roofed Federal-style house (now the west end of the main house) with kitchen ell and detached carriage barn, owned by a local banker and lawyer. The main house was expanded and renovated through a series of building campaigns in 1821 and ca. 1850, and the ell was widened and paired with the main house under a new hip roof. Some Greek Revival updates were also made to the interior during this time. In the 1870s, the property was purchased by a farming family, and it is likely that they inserted the "little house" between the kitchen and existing carriage barn to create additional living space. The "little house" contains parts of an earlier building, which made unravelling the historic evolution of the structure quite a difficult but rewarding puzzle. The hen house and large horse barn to the east were also added at about this time, creating the over 185 foot long building we see today. The house was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 as a contributing resource to the Haverhill Corner Historic District.
The updated assessment report created a detailed study of the historic evolution of the property and will provide a detailed road map for the continued rehabilitation of this building in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties and will aid the non-profit as they seek future funding for their restoration efforts.
Haverhill Heritage, Inc., completed December 2020.
Historic Preservation District Survey
Certified Local Government grant-funded study of the Sanborn Square Historic District, which was established in 1964 and listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The study provides up-to-date information on each of the approximately 95 properties within the current district and helps to formalize the Historic District boundaries. This information will aid the Historic District Commission in overseeing the development of the area, butter understanding character-defining features of individual properties, and will create a tabular database with information on each property that can be keyed into town mapping.
Sanbornton Historic District Commission, completed August 2020.
P. Chase Farmhouse Historic Building Assessment
The Historic Building Assessment of the John Prescott Chase Farmhouse was for the Southeast Land Trust of New Hampshire (SELT) in cooperation with Stephen Bedard of Bedard Preservation & Restoration and Sheldon Pennoyer, AIA, of Sheldon Pennoyer Architects. The Georgian Farmhouse was constructed in ca. 1785, likely by Moses Davis, and was home to John Prescott Chase from 1839 until 1883. Chase updated many of the outdated Georgian features shortly after his marriage in 1842 to reflect the popular Greek Revival style. The farm was later sold to the Quincy family and run as a dairy farm which supplied milk to RM Hood. The property was listed to the NH State Register of Historic Places in 2014, and was acquired by SELT with the assistance of partner organizations including both the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) and NH Conservation & Heritage License Plate Program in 2015. SELT decided to conduct an assessment to help guide the reuse plans for the building within the Secretary of the Interior's Standards as part of SELT's long-term plans to revitalize the working farm to inspire the public about conservation.
Southeast Land Trust of New Hampshire, completed May 2020.
|Amos J. Blake
House Museum Historic Building Conditions Assessment
The Historic Building Conditions Assessment of the Amos J. Blake House Museum is being conducted in partnership with Brian Gallien of Ironwood Restoration through the Assessment Grant program of the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance. The house was constructed by Levi Haskell in 1837. The large Greek Revival building originally housed a series of stores in the first floor with residential and storage space above. In ca. 1863, Amos J. Blake (1836-1925) opened his law offices in the southeast corner of the building. Blake was a prominent Fitzwilliam citizen, and lived in the house until his death in 1925. The building was later transferred to the Fitzwilliam Historical Society in 1965 by Blake's descendants.
Fitzwilliam Historical Society, completed August 2020.
Grange Historic Building Conditions Assessment
The Historic Building Assessment of the Stratford Grange is being conducted in partnership with Oliver Fifield of Oliver Fifield Traditional Woodworking for the town of Stratford with the aid of a grant through the assessment grant program of the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance. The Stratford Grange was listed to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places in 2017 for its role in the political, governmental, and social history of Stratford and as a well-preserved example of a nineteenth-century rural New Hampshire meetinghouse. The building was first constructed ca. 1820, as the second Stratford Meetinghouse (reusing framing elements of the first, 1808 meetinghouse). It has been used as a grange hall since 1896, and sits along the west side of Route 3, between the villages of Stratford Hollow and North Stratford and across the street from the Stratford Center Cemetery.
Town of Stratford, completed May 2020.
Grange Historic Building Conditions Assessment
The Historic Building Assessment was made possible through a grant from the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance and conducted in partnership with Michael Petrovick Architects, PLLC. The Golden Rod Grange #114 was constructed in 1915-16 and designed specifically for Grange use with a lodge room with stage for dramatic productions; a dining/meeting hall; and a kitchen. In 1991, the Grange offered the building to the Town of Swanzey. Since 1993, the Swanzey Preservation Society has been working to rehabilitate the building for use as a centralized meeting place for town activities. The building was individually listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994 under Criterion A for significance in social history.
Town of Swanzey, completed May 2020.
Community Center Annex Historic Building Assessment
Historic Building Assessment of the former Charles F. Eastman Carriage House in cooperation with Jay Barrett of Barrett Architecture, and the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). The Littleton Community Center Annex was built in ca. 1884 as a carriage house and was likely designed by prominent Worcester, Massachusetts architect, Stephen C. Earle (1839-1913). In 1919, the Eastman family estate, which then included the house (Littleton Community Center), carriage barn, ice house, and automotive garage, was purchased by the Littleton Community Center to create a community gather space as a living memorial for the veterans of the Great War (World War I). In 1958-59, the first-floor of the carriage house was renovated to create Teen Town, a hangout for local youth. The building was used by youth groups through 2011, when it was closed to the public due to structural issues. The assessment explores the history of the structure, identifies character-defining features, and develops a rehabilitation plan to rehabilitate the historic building to create a public welcome center for the Town of Littleton.
Littleton Community Center, completed January 2020.
Meetinghouse Historic Building Assessment
LCHIP-funded Historic Building Assessment of the Greenfield Meetinghouse in Greenfield, NH for the Town of Greenfield in cooperation with Misiaszek Turpin pllc architects, Rist-Frost-Shumway Engineering, and the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). The assessment of the 1795 building aims to address structural and code issues within the space, create a comprehensive history of the structure, develop a long-term maintenance plan for the building, and help the Town of Greenfield ensure that this historic structure continues to be a part of the community into the 21st century.
Town of Greenfield, completed September 2019.
England Masonic Charitable Institute National Register Nomination
& Historic Building Assessment
Initially hired by the Town of Effingham to complete a National Register of Historic Places Nomination for the Effingham Masonic Institute, the project was expanded to include an Historic Building Assessment in cooperation with Norman E. Larson, AIA of Christopher P.Williams, Architects and the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance. The Italianate New England Masonic Charitable Institute was built in 1858 overlooking the village of Drake's Corner.The second floor was outfitted for use by the Charter Oak Lodge No. 58, and the hall was decorated with the elaborate wall frescoes of Boston artist Philip A Butler (1829-1916). The first floor operated as a private school between 1861 and ca. 1880. In 1891, the first floor of the building was re-purposed as the Effingham Town Hall. In 1893, the Effingham Public Library moved into a room in the first floor. Since 2004, the entire first floor has been occupied by the Library, with the Charter Oak Lodge continuing to utilize the second floor. The Masonic Charitable Institute is significant for its architecture, and central role in the educational history of the Town and region as the only known example of a Masonic school in the United States.Town of Effingham, completed June 2019.
Listed to the National Register of Historic Places September 19, 2019.
Stratford Hollow United-Methodist Church Historic
New Hampshire Preservation
Historic Building Assessment of the former Stratford Hollow
United-Methodist Church for the Cohos Historical
Society. First constructed as a Greek Revival building
in the 1850s, the church was heavily renovated in 1896 to
serve the village of Stratford Hollow. In 2002, the
building was purchased by the Cohos Historical Society.
In 2010, the building was listed to the New Hampshire State
Register of Historic Places for its role in the social history
and community development of Stratford and as an excellent
local example of shingle-style architecture. The
Historical Society is working to restore the church building
while creating an accessible public museum and meeting space
for the community.
Caesar Union Library Historic Building Assessment
New Hampshire Preservation Alliance-funded Historic Building Assessment of the Mt. Caesar Union Library in Swanzey in cooperation with KCS Architects. The Greek Revival style library was constructed in 1842 as the private Mount Caesar Academy. The school closed in 1866 and was sold to the Mt. Caesar Union Library Association in 1885. Through the assessment, a rehabilitation plan has been created to bring the building into compliance with modern building code while fulfilling the programmatic needs of the expanding Library.
Mt. Caesar Union Library Association, completed June 2019.
E. Tilton Mansion Historic Building Assessment
Historic Building Assessment of the former Charles E. Tilton Mansion (now Lucian Hunt Library) in cooperation with Samyn-D'Elia Architects and the the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). The Tilton Mansion was built over a series of phases starting in ca. 1861 as the home of prominent Tilton resident, Charles Elliott Tilton. The house remained in the Tilton family until 1952, when it was sold to another private family. In 1962, the building was purchased by the Tilton School and was renovated for use as the school's library. The mansion as individually listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 as having state-wide significance in the areas of architecture and commerce. The building is a very well-preserved example of late 19th century residential architecture, illustrating the tastes and trends of Victorian architectural styles. The early design of the building in ca. 1861-1864 represents a very early example of the Second Empire style in the State of New Hampshire, possibly designed by prominent Concord architect, Edward Dow. The design of the house pre-dates the New Hampshire State House expansion, and may represent the earliest domestic Second Empire style building in New Hampshire. The later, Islamic Revival details of the porch are also highly significant as they represent a style that is virtually unknown in the State. The building assessment presents the historical context of the Mansion, outlines the character-defining elements of the building, details the current building condition, and lays out the scope of work for a series of potential future renovation projects that will protect the integrity of the structure for years to come.
School, completed May 2019.
Canterbury Shaker Village Cart Shed Historic Building
Historic Building Assessment of the Canterbury Shaker Village
Cart Shed for Canterbury
Shaker Village, Inc., in cooperation with former New
Hampshire State Architectural Historian Dr. James Garvin, engineer
Keith Donington, Canterbury Shaker Village staff member David
Ford, and the NH
Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP).
The study of the 1840 Cart Shed will determine the physical
needs of the structure and help determine an interpretive plan for
Canterbury Shaker Village, Inc., completed March 2019.
Hebron Disaster Planning for
Historic Properties: Phase 1 Historic Resources Survey
This grant-funded study identifies some of the historical resources within the newly-defined Cockermouth River floodplain and creates a model to talk about risk-assessment and how to prioritize future historic resource survey in high-risk areas. Funded through a New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources (NHDHR) Storm Recovery and Disaster Planning Grant, the study analyzed historic resources within the floodplain within the context of the Town's history and development.New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, completed February 2019
Hall Historic Structures Report
Historic Structures Report of the Ashland Town Hall in Ashland, NH for the Town of Ashland in cooperation with Norman E. Larson, AIA of Christopher P. Williams, Architects and the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). The Ashland Town hall was constructed in 1871 as the first municipal building of the new Town of Ashland after it had split off from Holderness in 1868. The building has served several functions throughout its life, beginning as a Town Hall, then serving as a vocation school building for the Ashland School district between 1953 and 1971, and returning to use as the Town Hall in 1971. Listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the building is significant for its central role in the civic and social history of Ashland and as an example of the traditional New England Town Hall.Town of Ashland, completed November 2018.
Kingston Master Plan Historic & Cultural Resources
Certified Local Government grant-funded project to create an Historic and Cultural Resources Chapter for the Town of Kingston's Master Plan. Working closely with a Committee composed of representatives from the Kingston Planning Board, Heritage Commission, Historic District Commission, Historical Museum Committee and members of the public under the direction of the Kingston Planning Board a chapter was developed that summarizes past historic preservation efforts, identifies historical resources, discusses how they can be preserved for the benefit of future generations, and identifies the unique roles of each organization in future efforts.
Town of Kingston, completed June 2018
Belmont Public Library Historic Building Assessment
Historic Building Assessment of the Belmont Public Library in Belmont, NH for the Belmont Public Library Trustees in cooperation with Norman E. Larson, AIA of Christopher P. Williams, Architects and the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). The 1927-1928 library and its furnishings were gifted to the Town by George & Walter Duffy, the owners of the Belmont Hosiery Company (operating out of the Belmont Mill next door). The library as designed by well-known Hanover, NH firm Wells & Hudson and is an excellent example of a small Colonial Revival public library. The building was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Belmont Public Library Trustees, completed June 2018
NH Planning Survey Project & Model Survey of Center
New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, completed June 2018
Fabyan Guard Station, National Register Nomination
United States Forest Service, completed January 2018.
St. Matthew's Chapel, NH State Register Nomination
New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places Nomination for St. Matthew's Chapel, prepared for the Church congregation. Constructed for use by the summer community in the Sugar Hill village area in 1893, the chapel was designed by New York architect Frederick Clarke Withers (1828-1901). The chapel qualified for the NH State Register under criterion A due to its role in the development of Sugar Hill as a summer community. It is one of a handful of structures from the period of rapid development in the 1880s and 1890s to remain, many of the other vestiges of the grand hotel and tourism era have vanished. St. Matthews is also eligible for listing to the NH State Register and National Register under Criterion C as an example of the Gothic Revival style and for its association with Withers. The chapel is a unique design in the catalogue of Withers legacy. A man who was extremely well-known regionally and nationally for his ecclesiastical designs, St. Matthews is representational of a break from his typical design repertoire. Though the chapel strictly adheres to some of his design signatures, the choice to construct the small building in wood represents a radical change for the architect. St. Matthews is a fine example of Gothic Revival design: incorporating common architectural elements of the style such as heavy drip moldings, steeply pitched roofs, decorative finials, an elaborate primary door surround and overall massing.
St. Matthew's Chapel, completed December 2017
Sanbornville Historic Resources Area Form
Wakefield Heritage Commission, completed October 2017
Belknap Mill Building Assessment
Historic Building Assessment of the Belknap Mill Building in Laconia, NH for the Belknap Mill Society in cooperation with Misiaszek Turpin pllc architects, Rist-Frost-Shumway Engineering, Resilient Buildings Group, Inc and the NH Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). The Belknap Mill was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, after it was narrowly saved from demolition. Built in 1823, the mill is heralded as the oldest brick mill in New England. The mill was very modern for its time and integrated the entire textile manufacturing process under one roof. The building is highly significant for its architecture and retains many character-defining features of an early mill. The Belknap Mill is also significant for its central role in the history of Laconias industrial revolution and the important part it played in helping to establish New Hampshires preservation movement.
Belknap Mill Society, completed June 2017
Center Harbor Village School, NH State Register
Town of Center Harbor, Completed September 2016
Ingalls Memorial Library, Historic Building Assessment
& NH State Register Nomination
Listed to the NH State Register of Historic Places in October 2016
Belmont Bandstand, NH State Register Nomination
Rochester City Hall Annex, Historic Building Assessment
Mizpah Spring Hut, Determination of Eligibility
Bolduc Block, National Register & NH State
National Register of Historic Places Nomination completed March
Jaffrey Meetinghouse, Historic Property Documentation
Newington Town Wide Mapping Project
Belmont Mill, NH State Register Nomination
Rogers House, Historic Building Assessment
Creek Farm, Historic Structures Report
Hilltop School, National Register Nomination
Center Harbor Townhouse, NH State
Download Inventory Form
Survey of Extant Historic Carriage
Houses and Urban Barns within Concord's West End Neighborhood
Download Area Form
Bath Congregational Church, NH State
Download Inventory Form
Pine Ledge, Historic Structures
Preservation Without Reservations
Blue-Collar Mill-Town to Summer
Destination: Shifting Economies in Small Town New Hampshire
Laconia State School for the
Feeble-Minded: Laconia's Chance to take a Stand for
Uvdal Stave Church